How To Dress Down Something Dressy
So you just splurged (more than you would have liked, but it’s ok BECAUSE YOU’RE WORTH IT) on this amazing dress for a semi/somewhat formal event. And you wore it, people loved it, you got that incredible IG post with all those likes. But now what? You can’t repeat this dress to another event… so this beautiful thing is just going to hang in your closet?
Not in my closet! I will reuse/reinvent/repurpose pieces in every imaginable way possible- I will wear the living S#*$ out of that beautiful piece!
So what is my trick? I dress down something dressy.
I got this Self Portrat dress from the AW17 collection, closer to the holiday period, as it has moments of silver lamé/metalic shimmer.
And I was looking at it the other day and thought…time for this baby to come out in the middle of July.
As the base is a pastel pink, I figured I would match it with a casual outer piece that is also of the similar colour tone-
thus a faded wash denim jacket was appropriate. I also had in mind a pullover cropped sweater/non detailed white leather jacket/however opted for this wonderful, embellished hook GRLFRND jacket as I wanted to add an element of fancy to something casual.
other options for dressing down?
Add a pair of your favourite sneakers- whether they be a posh Gucci pair, or my go to high top Converse- this element will immediately offset the dressy piece.
- Self Portrait Metallic Fil Coupe Blush Pink Mini Dress
- GRLFRND Kim Boyfriend Denim Trucker Jacket
- Veronica Beard Cara Denim Jacket
- McGuire Marfa Jacket
- Bottega Veneta Intrecciato Low-Top Leather Trainers
- Primury Dyo Grained Leather Low-top Trainers
- Come des Garcons Women's Chuck Taylor 1970s High-Top Sneakers
- Balenciaga Knife Mules
- Delvaux Madame Mini Leather Shoulder Bag
- Mark Cross X HVN Harley Small Wicker Basket Bag
- Soru Jewellery Baroque Pearl Hoop Earrings
- Zara Contrasting Earrings